There are over 9 million people registered as hard of hearing in the UK today. Deaf awareness training is, therefore, crucial to meet the communication needs of these people.
Deaf Awareness Training
- Identify the barriers that deaf and hard of hearing people face
- List the ways in which deaf and hard of hearing people communicate
- Understand and demonstrate how to implement positive methods of communication, and offer an equal service to deaf and hard of hearing people.
- Apply the finger-spelling alphabet
- Explore the deaf community & culture
Sign Language Courses
Signs4Life is an approved centre with the awarding body Signature for the Level 1 award in British Sign Language. We offer a 10-week accredited course to support communication which can also be tailored to your organisation’s needs. We currently work in the social care, healthcare, housing, education, public services, arts and culture, and corporate sectors.
Makaton is a language programme designed to provide a means of communication to individuals who cannot communicate efficiently by speaking.
- Understand what Makaton is and how it developed
- Be able to confidently finger-spell letters A-Z
- Explore the benefits of Makaton
- Study differences between BSL and Makaton
- Use facial expressions, placement, and movement, when signing phrases
- You will also learn the signs and symbols for Makaton level 1 and 2.